- Austria - State Archives - in Vienna
- Belarus - National Archives
- Belarus - National Historical Archives
- Belgium - General State Archives - in Brussels
- Croatia - National Archives
- Canada - National Archives
- Czech Republic -
Archiv Pražského Hradu - in Prague
- Czech Republic - National Archives Administration - in Prague
- Czech Republic - State Archive - in Prague
- Denmark - Rigsarkivet - in Kopenhagen
- Denmark - Statens Arkiver - Danish State Archives
Includes the Danish National Archives, Provincial Archives, Danish Business Archives and the Danish Data Archives.
European Archival Network
This is the primary site for all European archives that are referenced. EAN's site creation was initiated on May 15, 1998 at the European Summit on Archives, in Bern, Switzerland, organized by the European Board of ICA. The Swiss Federal Archives are the site's webmaster. EAN offers the following services : Information host for all European archives. Search platform for and about archives. Exchange and contact platform for archives throughout Europe and the world.
- Estonia - National Archives - Rahvusarhiiv - in Tartu
- Finland - National Archives - in Helsinki
The National Archives and the Provincial Archives of Finland
- France - Archives de France - in Paris
Réglementation, évaluation et contrôle de la collecte, description, conservation et communication des archives publiques autres que celles des ministères des Affaires étrangères et de la Défense.
- France - Archives Nationales (French National archives) - in Paris
- France - Archives Diplomatiques de France (French Diplomatic Archives) - in Paris
Official Website of the French Foreign Ministry Archives
- France - Archives nationales - Centre historique (CHAN) - Archives centrales de la France depuis les Mérovingiens jusqu'en 1958
Archives des organismes et établissements d'Ancien Régime supprimés à la Révolution, archives des administrations centrales de l'Etat, archives privées, minutes des notaires paris.
- France - Archives nationales - Centre des archives contemporaines - in Paris
Collecte des archives des administrations centrales de l'Etat en France (grand corps de l'Etat, ministères, établissements publics nationaux).
- France - Archives nationales - Centre des archives d'outre-mer - in Paris;
Archives de l'histoire coloniale française (sauf protectorat du Maroc et de Tunisie) et de la présence française en Algérie.
- France - Archives nationales - Centre des archives du monde du travail - in Roubaix
Collecte et mise en valeur des archives du monde du travail en France (entreprises, syndicats ouvriers et patronaux, sociétés mutualistes, etc.).
- France - Archives nationales - Centre national du microfilm (CNM) - in Espeyran
Conservation des collection de microfilm de sécurité et de complément des 1Archvies nationales et territoriales françaises.
- Germany - Bundesarchiv (German Federal archive)
- Holy See - Archivio segreto vaticano - in Rome
- Hungary - National Archives of Hungary - in Budapest
Hungary - War History Archives (Hadtörténelmi Levéltár) - in Budapest
In connection with a project sponsored by the U.S. Department of Defense, the Library of Congress has begun to receive microfilm of declassified records from the War History Archives covering the early years of the Cold War, beginning in 1949. They include ministerial orders and papers from the Secretariat and various directorates of the Home Defense Ministry and the General Staff. Under the terms of a formal agreement the Department of Defense provides microfilming equipment and supplies, as well as the processing of the film, while the Archives staff carries out the microfilming itself. Selection of records is by mutual agreement. Additional Cold War records extending into the 1950s will also be filmed.
- Iceland - National Archives - in Reykjavík
- Ireland - National Archives - in Dublin
- Israel - Central Archives for the History of the Jewish People - in Jerusalem
- Israel - State Archives - in Jerusalem
- Israel - World Zionist Organization - The Central Zionist Archives - in Jerusalem
Official repository of the Zionist Movement, the CZA is the largest Jewish Archives in the world holding over 80 million documents, a large photo collection and unique collections of printed material, maps, stamps and posters.
- Italy - State Archives - in Rome
- Italy - Archives of the Foreign Ministry - in Rome
- Latvia - State Archives - in Riga
- Luxembourg - Archives Nationales - in Luxembourg
NATO Archives - in Brussels
On the occasion of its 50th Anniversary and to satisfy the desire for transparency and facilitate access to information for historians and for the public at large, NATO has established an Archives service whose mission will be to preserve its collective memory and to provide access to records that will enable the public to understand the missions, aims and achievement of the Alliance.
- Netherlands - Algemeen Rijksarchief (ARA) - General State Archives - in The Hague
- Norway - National Archives - in Oslo
Open Society Archives at Central European University
The Open Society Archives (OSA) is an international archival, research and educational institution, affiliated with the Central European University in Budapest. OSA has one of the largest and most important collection in the world on communism and Cold War, the core of which is the archives of the former Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty Research Institute. OSA has a significant human rights and war crimes collection, especially from the former communist region, and, beside textual materials, a unique audiovisual collection. OSA regularly supports other archival institutions to preserve their holdings and make them available for research, offers research grants, and provides both on-site and off-site research possibilities.
- Poland - State Archives - in Warsaw
Poland - Central Military Archives - in Warsaw
In connection with a project sponsored by the U.S. Department of Defense, the Library of Congress has begun to receive microfilm of declassified records from the Central Military Archives (Centralne Archiwum Wojskowe, CAW) in Warsaw covering the early years of the Cold War, primarily 1945-50. They include letters, memoranda, policy papers of the Polish Cabinet of Ministers, the Minister of Defense, the General Staff, and other high military bodies. Many of thedocuments were originally classified Top Secret or Secret.
- Portugal - National Archives - in Lisbonne
Romania - Military Archives of the Romanian Ministry of National Defense
In connection with a project sponsored by the U.S. Department of Defense, the Library of Congress has begun to receive microfilm of declassified records from the Military Archives (Archivele Militare) of the Romanian Ministry of National Defense in Bucharest covering the earlier years of the Cold War, primarily 1944-1965.
- Russia - State Archives
- Russia - Russian Archives Online (in English)
- Serbia - The Archives of Serbia and Montenegro - in Belgrade
- Slovakia - National Archives - in Bratislava
- Slovenia - Archives of the Republic - in Ljubljana
(Former) Soviet Union - Soviet Archives
Soviet Archives collected by Vladimir Bukovsky, prepared for electronic publishing by Julia Zaks and Leonid Chernikhov. This site contains Acrobat PDF scanned images of documents, mainly from RGANI, Fond 89.
(Former) Soviet Union - Library of Congress Soviet Archives Exhibit
The Soviet Archive Exhibit is the first public display of the hitherto highly secret internal record of Soviet Communist rule. The willingness of the new Russian Archival Committee under Pikhoia to cooperate in preparing this exhibit with the Library of Congress dramatizes the break that a newly democratic Russia is attempting to make with the entire Soviet past. This exhibit illustrates both the domestic and the foreign policy of Soviet rule.
- Spain - Archivos Estatales - in Madrid
- Spain - Archivo General de la Guerra Civil Española - in Salamanca
- Sweden - National Archives - in Stockholm
- Switzerland - Federal Archives - in Bern
- The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia - State Archives
- Turkey - General Directorate of Archives
- Turkey - National Archives - in Ankara
- UNESCO Archives Portal
- Ukraine - State Committee on Archives
- United Kingdom - National Digital Archive of Datasets (NDAD)
Archive of electronic data and related documents created by UK government departments; operated by the University of London on behalf of the UK Public Record Office.
United Kingdom - The National Archives of the United Kingdom, Public Records Office - in Kew, Richmond
The Public Record Office is the repository of the national archives for England, Wales and the United Kingdom. The records, beginning with Domesday Book (1086), span an unbroken period from the 11th century to the present. This catalogue is a database of over 8 million document references with descriptions of the documents and descriptions of the classes in which they are categorized.
- USA - USA National Archives - in Washington D.C.
USA - The US State Department, Electronic Reading Room
The State Department's Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Electronic Reading Room features frequently-requested declassified documents, points of reference for State Department records and information access, and other helpful links to sites with State Department materials.